Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

The Inability to Accurately Convey Experiences

At one point on this tour/moving adventure, Francisco was riding in the passenger seat of my 2004 Chevy Malibu as we drove from Tucson, AZ, to Los Angeles, CA. He had his phone pressed to the glass of the passenger side door to take a picture our surroundings - barren desert punctuated by masses of jagged rock and mountains. He gave up because what he was seeing in first person wouldn't transfer from his iPhone to the internet to someone back home. The only thing you can do to engage in the beauty of nature and adventure is experience it firsthand.

It happens to me wherever I'm at. I want so badly to share each and every experience that I have with my circle of friends. You can Snapchat, Vine, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and whatever else, but nothing is ever close to the real thing. This is pretty well understood though. I'm trying to describe the phenomenon of experiencing things that can't be described or shared, like a karaoke bar in Portland at three a.m. or a desert mansion in Tucson in the morning. I've thought of my best friend in Seattle while drinking coffee in the rain and of my mother in San Francisco while climbing rocks in the bay. The overwhelming thought that comes from deep inside is the need to be here, now. It's a failure of our neural compasses that we can't recognize that the life we're leading in the present moment isn't available to the people that we've left in the past. 

Which made it exceptionally nice to have Francisco Valdez and Al Jones tour with us. We visited a lot of the same cities on this tour and made it a point to do some of the same things, liking walking to the abandoned marina in Bellingham or eating at Sizzle Pie in Portland. Having two friends along with us made these past experiences seem fresh. Some times traveling isn't about discovering something new. Instead we were able to pull maps and images out of the back of our skulls as we showed our buddies things that we weren't able to describe before. 

I love these dudes more than anything. Thanks for smelling, drinking, driving and snoring with me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment